With over 130 years of experience in caring for children and teens who are struggling and often at-risk, the San Diego Center for Children has gained a reputable standing as an expert leader in improving the safety and quality of life for families in need. The challenges children and families face may have changed over the decades since our founding in 1887, but the heart of our mission has remained the same.
Continuum of Care
The Center is one of the handful of children’s behavioral healthcare organizations in California to have earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® for accreditation. This prestigious recognition demonstrates our commitment to the national healthcare standards of The Joint Commission for the safety, quality of care and superior level of treatment we provide our community’s children and families.
Utilizing evidence-based practices in our programs provides consistent methodology of treatment across our Continuum of Care, and also ensures the highest quality of care based off research-based treatment models. Whether a child is referred by a parent or caregiver, the child’s school or through foster care, our continuum of services may be accessed at any level of intensity. If the Center cannot provide the help a family may need, we are happy to direct them toward other options in the community.
Within all programs represented on our Continuum of Care, our primary goals are to:
- Help the child and family reach better health, improved relationships, and a greater quality of life
- Inspire the child and family toward living healthy and joyful lives
- Transition the child into a lower level of care
- Better educate and train the child and family so they may gain a sense of independence
- Have the family find an active, healthy lifestyle
- Teach the tools to maintain ongoing health and quality of life
Additionally, training our dedicated and professional staff is top priority so we remain knowledgeable of new and innovative best practices in our field. These practices include:
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT)
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Managing and Adaptive Practice (MAP)
- Parent Management Trainings (PMT)
- Multi-dimensional Treatment Foster Care for Preschoolers (MTFC-P)
- Multi-dimensional Treatment Foster Care for Adolescents (MTFC-A)
To learn more about our Continuum of Care services, please click a section below: