We’ve moved our volunteer opportunities online, so you may still #HelpFromHome! If you or your group have questions about any virtual volunteer opportunities listed below, please contact Warren Johnson, Special Events & Volunteer Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virtual Volunteer Opportunities
Meals for our Essential Workers
Help to support our efforts in showing much deserved appreciation to our amazing residential teams at the Center by providing meals and snacks for the different shifts.
We have 4 shifts:
- Tuesdays and Saturdays, between 1p and 2p. This would include 50 people
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, for our overnight crew. This would include 14 people
Ways to contribute:
- Donate directly to the Center for staff meals (our team will coordinate to order food for the staff)
- Order a meal directly from a restaurant to be delivered to the Center
- Provide packaged snacks
- Volunteer to make personalized notes for team members (this can be included for all the above options as well😉)
Personal Protection Equipment for Youth and Staff
Help us combat COVID-19 by providing essential personal protective equipment for our nursing and residential staff counselors who have direct contact with our 24/7 care youth living on our main campus. Our services and employees are considered essential by the County of San Diego.
Drop off can be arranged by contacting the Development Department at (858) 596-3935 or email@example.com
- Isolation/impervious gowns
- Non-latex gloves
- Eye protection
- Disinfecting wipes
- Hand sanitizer
Food & Grocery Gift Card Baskets
Many of the children and families we serve are not only dealing with mental health issues that affects their family’s dynamic and individual well-being, but they’re also dealing with the stress of how they’re going to put food on the table due to the severe lack of resources.
By providing a basket (or grocery bag) of nonperishable food items along with a grocery store gift card, you will help alleviate daily stressors for families and create joy for them as they spend time preparing and sharing meals together.
- Multiple baskets are encouraged and appreciated.
Back to School Supplies
School will be back in session soon for the youth served by the San Diego Center for Children. Whether the instruction will be virtual or in-person, we’re looking forward to seeing our youth again.
Unfortunately, many of the children, teens, and families we serve lack the resources for proper supplies. For youth in need, something as simple as new school supplies can boost their confidence and self-esteem. You can help in their success!
- Host a School Supply Drive – download our flyer here
- Shop our Amazon wish list, and ship directly to the Center – Amazon Wish List
- Text “SDCC” to 44321 to learn more
Shop to Support
Visit the Center’s Amazon Wish List, and purchase items for youth in our Residential Programs. Items can be shipped directly to the Center.
Having a Birthday, Anniversary or Special Event?
Celebrate with the Center! Create your own fundraiser and reach out to your family and friends to support the Center’s efforts. Through your thoughtful fundraiser, you will help empower the lives of the over 1,000 children and families who are served every day by the Center.
Create your own Fundraising Page on Facebook
Connect with friends and family to ask them to join you in supporting the Center! More info here: https://www.facebook.com/fundraisers?create&source=help_center_how_to_create_fundraiser
Welcome Duffle Bags
Children and teens placed in our specialized, treatment-level foster care homes frequently have multiple placements and often lack a proper bag to transport the little belongings they have. At times, many youth come into our care with only the clothing and shoes they’re wearing. By providing an overnight or duffle bag filled with a few items to call their own, you will help a foster child feel cared for and supported during this often difficult and emotional transition.
- Filled duffle bags are typically $150 in total value
Suggested duffle bag style and items to go within bag:
- Gift card(s), i.e. Target, Walmart, Amazon
- Toiletries-toothbrush, toothbrush holder, toothpaste, shampoo, hairbrush, stick deodorant
- Mesh laundry bag
- Towel and washcloths
- Journal, pens, pencils and/or markers
- Coloring/Activity books
- Blanket/stuffed animal
- UNO cards, playing cards, tissues
Sponsor the Tooth Fairy
The excitement and anticipation of waiting for the tooth fairy to arrive is one of the many magical moments of childhood. Celebrating these special occasions is important and even more so while youth are in our care. Help us sprinkle a little tooth fairy magic around the Center!
Provide a donation for each child who loses a tooth with a small pouch that has a $1 bill, a sticker, and a note from the Tooth Fairy.
* A group can collect supplies and deliver items to our main campus.