San Diego Center for Children Academy
The San Diego Center for Children Academy is a nonpublic school – accredited by the Western Association of Schools & Colleges (WASC) – allowing students a place to flourish in the classroom – and in life. Our academic and behavioral principles are rooted in finding the strengths and passions each child brings that will allow them to achieve their personal best.
Many factors can be at the root of distractive, unproductive or unhealthy behaviors at school. From developmental delays and learning disabilities to emotional and social stressors, how well a child learns and performs at school can be significantly impacted when behavioral health conditions are present.
We understand many students just need extra support in their academic and personal growth that is not always available in a traditional classroom. Each teacher at the Academy is credentialed in special education, and our staff-to-student ratio allows for close instruction, direction and assistance.
School Has Never Been So Positive!
What is a Nonpublic School?
Nonpublic schools are privately operated, publicly funded schools that specialize in providing educational services for students with needs so exceptional that they cannot be met in a public school setting.
The Academy specializes in helping students whose behaviors are impacting their school performance. Most students have Individualized Education Plan (IEP) that may have any of the following noted:
- Autism (AUT)
- Emotional disabilities (ED)
- Specific learning disabilities (SLD)
- Other health impaired (OHI)
- Speech and language impairment (SLI)
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
To read a success story of a student who has thrived at our Academy, please click here.
The Academy follows the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) curriculum to ensure all students are on a diploma-bound path and are best prepared for the next step in their journey.
Our curriculum includes focus in
- Language Arts
- Fine Arts
- Social Studies
- Physical Education
- Foreign Language
- College-Prep Classes (A-G classes)
A 10th grade student was recently asked why she liked our school… her reply was, “This is the first school that I have been to that has been able to teach me to read.”
The Academy further meets educational and behavioral needs, coordinating from a wealth of robust resources for each individual student. Whenever possible, we work with families and other caregivers to ensure valuable, newly-discovered skills and strengths are carried through life transitions. We are proud to offer the following additional supports at the Academy:
- Intensive Reading Improvement Program
- Math Improvement Program
- Behavior Analysts/BCBA on staff
- Occupational therapy and classroom sensory modifications
- Speech and language therapy
- Anti-Bullying Program – Heroic Imagination Project
- Positive Behavioral Management curriculum – PeaceBuilders
- Individual and family counseling with a licensed therapist
And Even More
- Acclaimed Music Program
- Health Rhythms drumming
- Electronic Music Lab (digital music instruction, high school credits available)
- Music Mosaic
- Performance opportunities at Blues Thursday and in the community
- Competitive Sports Teams
- School Calendar
- Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act information page (website accessed by students during the school day)
- Academy School Accountability Report Card
CONGRATS to our 2017 Graduates! Click Here to see photos of our Graduation Ceremony.
Looking for Info?
For more information or a tour of the Academy, please contact:
Academy Administrative Manager